Friday 5 September 2008

Poker is such a strange game.

Today was a strange day. I started off the day by dropping 2k pretty quick. I stopped cos I was playing really pretty badly I felt. I felt myself get agitated.. was playing too few tables and started trying to outplay everyone in every hand, which just isn't really a good idea. I decided I'd go out get some food, then start another session later.

I ate, came back, started a session. Played a few more hands, got disconnected quite a few times which really didn't help much at all, but then found myself -6k for the day. That was also -9k in around 1k hands including yesterday. I had only played a bit but I felt like I had played pretty solidly. I lost a few hands I just couldn't help losing. I decided to quit at least for an hour or two. Had a shower and thought about my play.

Poker has this sickening way of getting right inside your head. I just earned 70k at this stupid game last month, and I'm sat here thinking.. well maybe it was all good luck, maybe i'm really not very good at this game. What if this downswing continues forever etc etc. Nothing else is really like poker.. like if I have a bad match playing football, I just shrug it off or if (when i was in school or college) I had a bad test result I wouldn't really take much notice. The results of one off matches or tests wouldn't really effect the way I perceive my skills in those areas. But when you have a bad session in poker it's all doom and gloom. Even though I sometimes think I'm good at not being results orientated I think there is def room for improvement.. but maybe that will come with playing more hands.

Aaaaaanyways, I decided I'd play again, put my headphones on and grinded - 9 tables, a mix of Pacific and ipoker. Gradually I got it back and turned today into a winning day. I was pretty pleased, cos I thought it could turn into a massacre.





I can't be arsed to post any hands cos most of them are pretty standard - no really interesting spots.

Summary of this: NEWSFLASH - poker requires a degree of mental toughness.



Rob

No comments: